16 June 2014

Preamble to Chaos

Per popular demand (and not at all because I don't want to make an email list or write personal notes), I have created a blog to document the grand and exciting adventures that go along with extreme change. In this case, moving to the Netherlands from Alaska to pursue an MSc in Geotechnical Engineering.

Because playing in the dirt is awesome. Because the most densely populated country in Europe isn't the polar opposite of Alaska or anything. Because change is, apparently, good.

I feel fortunate to be in a place in my life where I can up and move. I have no car payments or mortgage, no kids, and a partner who likes me enough to come with me. Part of me wonders if this "let's go to grad school on the other side of the planet" thing is partially because I haven't left Fairbanks yet. I always intended to; I was going to go to college ABA (anywhere but Alaska), then we were going to move after finishing undergrad, then leaving as soon as Ev finished his masters. Well, we are officially getting out. I have no idea what we're getting in to, but we have plane tickets.

Anyway, my intent is to keep those who care abreast of the, well, everything. As of right now, "everything" entails navigating the visa process for Ev, finalizing a rental agreement on an apartment, and putting the last 4 years of our lives into boxes.

Turns out, dealing with people 10 hours ahead is kind of a pain. There may be some sleep depravation in our lives.

1 comment: