11 December 2016

Teachers are pretty great (a month in the life of an unemployed engineer)

It's probably time to say something magical. After all, it's that time of year. But, despite my best efforts, things aren't moving forward quite the way I'd like. 

Allow me to explain. 

When I graduated, I was in contact with several engineering firms in Alaska, and things were looking pretty good for being able to get a job shortly after getting home. After all, I have a masters degree, several years of design experience, and a burning desire to stay in AK. Well, it turns out that even the best laid plans are subject to the whims of the economy. Which, as it happens, is shit. Especially for civil engineers. Something about the money that goes towards infrastructure and civil engineering in Alaska comes in large part from oil companies and the state and federal governments. With the prices of oil tanking (haha pun), and the fact that Alaska ran a deficit for the first time in ages last year, there simply isn't money coming in. Oh, and we're officially in a recession. So roads and bridges aren't getting built or fixed, airports are getting put on the back burner, utilities are getting ignored, and oil companies aren't building new stuff. 

tl;dr, no money = no jobs. 

And thus, for the first time in my life, I'm in limbo, keeping in touch with firms, networking like my life depends on it, and trying not to slowly lose my mind. 

Obviously, the best way to go about filling time and making something resembling money when you're an unemployed engineer is to teach. Some old adage about those who can't do, teach. Yeah, right. After several weeks of substitute teaching, let me just say HOLY CRAP TEACHERS ARE SAINTS. 

I've been substitute teaching primarily high school science and maths classes, since that's my background. Because I have no idea how to handle little kids, I'm avoiding elementary schools. And let me say, kids are ridiculous. I've developed a whole new level of respect for teachers. It's got to be a calling, cuz otherwise you'd probably lose your mind. So to all the teachers in my life, cheers to you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This past week Nick's band (Petty Crimes. They're a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover band) played at the Pub. They're pretty damn good, and I got to channel Stevie Nicks and sing Stop Draggin' My Heart Around with them. Which was really fun. I missed singing. Yet another perk of being done with grad school: time to do stuff that got shoved onto the back burner because you can't actually make days longer, no matter how hard you try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, Ev, Dakota and I had a climbathon. The goal: climb as many routes as physically possible. We were at the gym for 4.5 hours, climbed a combined total of 38 routes, and crushed pretty hard. Because I am in no way competitive, we tracked the number of routes, falls, and climbs harder than a 5.11. There were a couple really epic dynos to the top of the wall, complete with power noises (or as I like to call it, my water buffalo giving birth impression), some really cool looking body positioning and stemming, and a really impressive heel hook at chest level.

24 hours later, my fingers are still kind of burning and my neck is quite sore. I'm also not sure I can make a fist.

It's a good feeling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's definitely the holiday season. The insane amount of baking for my parent's Christmas party has commenced, get togethers with people and secret santa's and white elephant gift exchanges are happening, and my alcohol intake has upped. Gotta love it.

So Happy December. 

No comments:

Post a Comment