04 March 2017

Still alive and employed

Somehow, over a month has gone by without any blog posts. Which is definitely a sign that things happened and I got busy and didn't bother to make the time to write anything. So. A brief recap.

I got a job at PND Engineers and did a prompt relocation to Anchorage. I've been working here for over a month now as a geotechnical engineer (actually using my degree. Say whaaaaaaat) and am having a really good time. It's been a bit odd, since Ev won't be down until the end of March, but we've been alternating weekend visits (I go up, then he comes down, etc), so it's a hell of a lot better than the 2 months that happened last year when I was in the Netherlands and he was in Fairbanks. 

I'm now up on the North Slope for a month or so to do some field work. I'm excited at the prospect of actually getting data to use for design. Geotechnical engineering is based on a lot of educated guesses and never enough real data, so this will be a valuable chance to validate and check some of the finite element models we've been generating.

Also, I'm on the night shift. So I'm currently trying to run myself into the ground for 36 hours so resetting my body clock goes easier. Lots of coffee is being consumed, and I'm going to go try out the camp gym in a bit.

Other than the new job and new city, there's not much going on in my life right now. I'm working a lot, climbing a fair bit, and not running nearly enough. Mid-March, Ev and Dakota will be going on a climbing trip to Red Rocks (outside of Los Vegas) that I was supposed to go on, but will now be in the field for. I'm a bit disappointed about that development, but the boys will have a good time and we're trying to set up a climbing trip to Greece this fall.

Anyways, that's about all I've got. 

No comments:

Post a Comment