19 March 2019

Night life

There has been a lot of field work in my life so far this year. 

And by "a lot," I mean "5.5 weeks and still counting."

It's a good thing I really like playing with dirt, cuz night shift (protip: always work nights, people leave you alone) is slowly losing our collective mind. Part of me wishes there was a camera in the drill sled that we could reference to track the slow, inevitable decline of our sanity as the weeks progress. 
Nope. No sanity here. Sane people don't get this exited about dirt 4 weeks into a job.
On the plus side, the arctic in winter has potential to be absolutely stunning, even if it does get super nasty and horrible outside. I'm grateful for the drill sled every time I go outside to pee.


It really is a super-slick design that makes for nice, warm working conditions in the middle of winter. Add in the fancy new drill, and we've drilled a LOT of holes with Onyx Drilling (my night shift driller and I broke 500 hours together this hitch last night). 

Anyways.

I'm alive. I think my driller and I have crossed any lines that may have lingered from the previous two years of working together. We've listened to possibly all the music. We have been working to embrace our inner otterness. And we've been listening to a verse of Tao every shift in an attempt to better ourselves, center our chi, and not completely lose our minds. It's working surprisingly well. And by that, I mean nobody has completely lost their shit or had a breakdown. Calling it a win. 

So yeah. One of these days I'll get around to that blog post about our magical vacation in Cayman Brac. But today is not that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment